Saturday, August 06, 2016

Now to Him Who is Able.....(Reader's Digest Version)

Now to Him who is able….

If you’ve followed my blog for the last 10 years, you know that the theme verses for our blog (and really life) are Ephesians 3:20-21.  I usually focus on the “immeasurably more” part (thus the name of my blog) when writing or thinking through what God has done in our 14 years of marriage.  However, this time it is more fitting to focus on the first part of the verse, “Now to Him who is able.”  He is able and I’d like to share with you how He has demonstrated this to me.

In October we started the process for foster care (see blog post Do the Next Thing).  We wanted to be open to a sibling group, so we started thinking about moving, but we were not really being proactive about it. (DCS in most cases only allows two children per bedroom, so we could only accept one girl at the old house.) In mid-May we decided the kids were going to public school. This prompted us to start thinking about selling the house quickly to get into a school system better suited for us.  This also led me to a list of fears….

- fears about not having the time/resources/knowledge to get the house ready to put on the market
- fears we couldn’t get it on the market soon enough for it to sell in time for school
- fears they would make Benjamin repeat 4th grade because of his birth date
- fears people would be upset about our decision
- fears the kids would be too behind to thrive at 5th grade level
- fears that I would miss homeschooling
- fears that I made wrong decisions about our homestudy and we might have to start it all over (this in and of itself is a very long story, the homestudy process has not been a smooth one).

I decided that all the fears and worries would not help me, so I wrote out all my fears and with each fear I wrote a prayer.  A prayer giving that fear over to God.  A prayer asking Him to give me peace instead of anxiety about it all.  A prayer with what I know God is able to do and asking that He do it!  I ended those prayers with this: “Lord, there is so much on my mind.  Most is out of my control.  None of it do You want me to worry about.  All of it You want me to bring to You in prayer, with thanksgiving (Philippians 4).  Most of my requests seem impossible….but I know nothing is impossible for You!  Please intervene.” 

So the weeks began to tick away and God began to show me with each and every detail that He is able and confirmed to me that the decisions we had made (some tough, some easy) were in His plan for us and our family.

God is able to make things move quickly:
We put our house on the market, and we accepted an offer on it the next day!  Not only that, but the couple that bought it are missionaries and they are ministering in the Madison area.  How exciting for us, with our hearts for ministry, to know God worked it out for our house to be a blessing to someone with a heart for ministry and missions. 
 
God is able to work through any hurdles:
Houses in the area where we were looking were getting contracts on them the day they listed or sometimes even before they were listed!  We had trouble finding a house that would stay on the market long enough for us even to go see it!  As for this house, for some reason it was on the market for two weeks, we thought it must have something wrong with it.  It did not (well nothing major), and so we decided it was on the market for two weeks to give us time to find it!  God had a plan in that!  The price had also been lowered since it was first on the market.  The seller had some provisions that seemed like we would not be able to agree on, but God worked those details out.  He even worked out the details to let us rent the house before closing. 

God is able to bring about peace in uncertain situations:
None of us were certain about what to expect with school.  However, God had the details worked out ahead of time.  We were zoned for the school my good friend Jennifer works at.  They put Benjamin in 5th grade with no question.  The kids were excited about school.  I was not nervous.  My fear was they would not start on time, but God allowed us the time to get in the house and be settled before school started.  They loved their first week!  We are also between two neighbors with 5th graders, so they went to school already having two friends in their grade. 

God is able to break the silence:
We hadn’t heard from the foster agency in weeks!  It seemed they were being silent and God was being silent (see this blogpost).  But that was not true.  God just wanted me to wait.  The day after we sold our house, we got word our homestudy was going to be approved in just a couple of days!  We haven’t stopped hearing from them since (though a placement has not worked out yet).

God is able to do what seems impossible.

God is able to work out the smallest details.

God is able to do far more abundantly beyond what we ask or think.

I am so excited about God’s plans for our family.  I know He has us right where He wants us.  He gave us a house that we can use to minister to foster kids.  He has the kids in their school and in the classes He wants them in, and I know He has their good in mind.  He has me home with Malachi and ready for more!  He has Daniel working right where He wants him.  I don’t know what is next, but I know He brought us here.  He brought us here quickly.  So I know He has great things in store.  But He likes for me to wait.  So I’ll sit here and wait and see what is next for us!  “Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.”


No comments: