Sunday, September 11, 2005

Another Informative Article

Another article I ran across is called Sound Advice? - Communicating Sympathy to Infertile Couples - I'm not necessarily putting it on here so you have things to say to us but just to make you aware and more sensitive to people.

For instance people don't usually think before they say - "so when are you guys going to have kids" you might be putting someone in an akward position by asking that. Maybe they are trying and haven't been able to...just think about it. Really I don't know how to better ask that question so it might be best to just mind your own business (is that a little harsh - if it is sorry!)

Anyway - back to the article. This is more of an article of how to communicate now that you know someone is infertile (infertile - inability to conceive after one year of trying- paraphrased textbook definition).

It is an interesting article and it explains how we as Christians should respond.
http://www.cbhd.org/resources/reproductive/eppinnette_2005-05-13

Sorry I have tried to make the links take you directly but for now you will have to copy and paste.

For those of you reading this that are struggling with infertility here are some resources for you:

Stepping Stones: www.bethany.org/step This is a website that has articles, books, chat rooms, etc. for those who are experiencing infertility or loss of a pregnancy. They also have a newsletter they send out bi-monthly (does that mean every other month because that is what I mean by bi-monthly)

www.reslove.org - The National Infertility Association - they have lots of articles and resource and fact sheets.

Books:
Infertility: Finding God's Peace in the Journey by Lois Flower
The Infertility Companion: Hope and Help for Couples Facing Infertility by Sandra Glahn and William Cutrer (Dr. Cutrer is a professor at the seminary) they also have another book I think it is called When Empty Arms Become a Heavy Burden - it is a good book too and they have a new book that I have not read The Contraception Guidebook: Options, Risks, and Answers for Christian Couples
Adoption after Infertility by Patricia Johnston

If you want more information just e-mail me dcsbts307@yahoo.com I have read a lot of books about infertility and adoption.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article on the Christian reponse. Everyone should read it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Being asked questions can be so difficult (and it can be even more difficult to bite my tongue). We find ourselves rushing out of church or other places with married with children couples so we can avoid the whole baby talk thing or avoid all the questions. These resources are great at helping others learn better sensitivity since you never know when you'll be talking to someone who struggles.